Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Casey Anthony verdict

So, yeah, Casey Anthony was not found guilty of murdering her child.

I found out when I went into the place where I get my sandwich made for lunch. Everyone was stomping around and cursing and my thought was that maybe I shouldn't eat whatever comes out of that place today.

The bottom line here is that we have created a criminal justice system that is overwhelmingly tilted in favor of the accused. Perhaps well intentioned, but in the interest of never putting an innocent in jail, we've made it nearly impossible to convict anyone without eyewitness testimony or a confession.

When I was younger, legal experts used to complain about the Perry Mason syndrome -- jurors were accustomed to thinking the defense attorney would solve the crime, present the truly guilty party during the trial and get a tearful confession on the stand.

Now we have the CSI/Law & Order syndrome -- jurors expect the prosecution to find some miniscule piece of evidence, or some Holmesian savant detective will get inside the criminal's mind to unravel the mystery.

On a side note -- expect a ripped from the headlines episode of L&O SVU where the part of Casey Anthony is portrayed as a tea party/christian evangelical who murders her child and is defended by a Sarah Palin look-a-like who rails constantly at the media while tweeting inappropriate images of herself to underage boys. 'Cause that's how hard the left sucks.

I don't know if Casey Anthony is guilty or not. I'm probably one of three people on the planet who didn't spend every waking minute of my life following this trial. Not because I didn't care, but because I've seen this too many times already -- O.J., Scott Peterson(sorry, bad example, they got him), this IMF guy in New York, Natalie Holloway, etc. There's too much of this tragedy in the world, and truth be told, it's too easy to get away with murder. I didn't want the personal jolt of watching the system fail again.

Like Jamie Foxx's character said in Law Abiding Citizen -- "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove!"

It sucks, but that is how it is.

No comments: