Monday, January 23, 2012

Cynthia Nixon just made an inconvenient statement

In an interview with the New York Times, actress Cynthia Nixon spoke about her "decision" to become a gay woman:

*emphasis mine*

"I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line ‘I’ve been straight and I’ve been gay, and gay is better.’ And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me. A certain section of our community is very concerned that it not be seen as a choice, because if it’s a choice, then we could opt out. I say it doesn’t matter if we flew here or we swam here, it matters that we are here and we are one group and let us stop trying to make a litmus test for who is considered gay and who is not.

Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate? It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate. I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive. I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with."

I've been saying for years that I don't understand the positioning and rhetoric from the gay/lesbian community about this very thing. If you're out and you're proud and all that, why can't you be proud of the lifestyle choice you've made? If you're point is that being gay is such an acceptable lifestyle, then why can't the choice to be gay, be acceptable?

Literally untold millions of dollars have been wasted by groups desperately searching for a gene or hormone or dna component that determines sexual orientation. Money that could have been spent on feeding the homeless or a cure for cancer or aids or something actually signinficant in our society. And exactly nothing has been found.

But we have relentless media indoctrination about how being gay isn't a choice and just like the false narratives spread about politicians or those of a certain political party, ordinary citizens bombarded constantly by this propaganda, mindlessly repeat scientific falsehoods about the lifestyle choice of gays and lesbians. I find the sinister subversiveness of the whole thing disturbing.

I won't be surprised if there's a bit of a backlash at Ms. Nixon from the usual sources over this, along with comment sections of blogs flooded with pc speech and recriminations. Hopefully Ms. Nixon won't be forced to walk back her thoughts on her choice or what she said. But sadly, freedom of speech rarely applies when it leads to something inconvenient for the aggrieved demographic de jour.



And for no other reason than stuff like this cracks me up, here's psuedo reality show actress Whitney Port *accidentally* falling out of her bikini top in front of a few paparrazi:

whitney port bikini manfunction

No comments: